Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The past few days

Summer vacation is winding down and the school year will be here before we know it-- no, more like before I want it.  As much as I love my job, I love being home more.  If I could afford to stay home with my children, I would jump at the chance.  But for now, I need to work to support my family, and really that is just as important and special as staying home to raise the children.  Besides, Eric is doing a good job with it, so for now I try to be satisfied.

For the last few days, we have been pretty busy.  Nothing special really, just days together as a family.  With Eric and I working a total of 4 part time jobs this summer, we didn't have much time to do a lot of family things.  My two jobs are done, and Eric is down to his normal one, so he took a few days off work and we did some random things.

On Monday, we planned to go to the Maine Discovery Museum in Bangor, but decided it was a long drive and we wouldn't have been able to even head out for the trip until after 1pm, as I had an OB appointment that morning.  So, instead we decided to go to Augusta and went to Red Robin for lunch.  We love Red Robin!  We ended up waiting for about 15 minutes before being seated.  Once seated, the one thing I wanted-- and was so craving-- was not available!  I was pretty irritated that they didn't bother to inform people of these things before making them wait.  I ended up having a wrap, which normally is very good, but was just not what I was wanting and didn't quite taste right (probably due to the fact that nothing seems to taste right with this pregnancy).  I wished shortly after receiving my wrap that I had gotten a burger instead. 

We then debated on whether we wanted to go to the Augusta Children's Museum, or go home.  We did a quick trip to Walmart first, as Bretton wanted to check a few things out, then headed home.  As much as I would have loved to go to the museum, I also wasn't sure if it would be worth it (though the one is Bangor definitely is!).  Bretton is getting to the age where it doesn't entertain him (much) anymore, and I'm not sure how much stuff is there that would really be alright for Ephraim.  I'm going to ask around so that we can make a better decision and then maybe go another time.

On Tuesday Bretton had his best friend, Michael, come over for the night.  We went to the Skowhegan Fair, despite the fact that it was raining.  I haven't been to the Skowhegan Fair for many years, and was disappointed to see that there really wasn't much there.  A lot of the space that used to be filled was empty and even the exhibition halls appeared emptier than I remember.  Even still, we enjoyed walking around, seeing the animals, watching the boys play some games, and eating dinner.  Well, actually, dinner wasn't exactly enjoyed.  There weren't a lot of choices and we wanted to be able to sit inside, so it really gave us only one choice.  We went into this booth-- something like a Lion's Club Booth-- and ordered cheeseburgers.  I made it very clear that they needed to be well done, and told them it was OK to cook them even longer than they think is necessary.  Well, we got our burgers and they were pink.  No, red.  The guys didn't seem to mind but I did.  I took it back and explained that I asked for well done and that it was very important that it be cooked completely through.  So they made another one.  When they brought it to me they asked me to open it and look.  You know what I saw?  Blood!  It was literally bleeding-- even worse than the first one!  They asked if that was OK, and to be honest, no it wasn't!  But I was tired of waiting and the guys were all almost done with their burgers so I said it was "going to have to be since they didn't seem to know how to cook a burger".  I ended up feeding some of the bun to Ephraim and throwing the burger out.  Luckily they gave us the money back for the burger, because if they hadn't I was going to give them an ear full on the way out.  (I know, I can be super mean-- but some people irk me.  And a lot of things really irk me when I am pregnant!) 

So, dinner a non-success yet done, we headed out to get desserts.  Eric, Ephraim, Bretton and I had some fries (Michael wasn't feeling the greatest so he didn't eat much) and Bretton and I had dough-boys.  Eric and Bretton also tried deep fried snickers bars.  They loved them!  I had a tiny bite of Bretton's and while it was good, I don't know if I could have eaten a whole one.  Plus, dough-boys are my favorite fair food, so I couldn't get full eating something else!

Today we just lounged around the house.  Eric took the boys to the river to swim for awhile and Michael is staying another night.  We cleaned the fridge-- throwing out more stuff than I ever imagined, and washed it down.  Now, I sit here typing this.  And as it is near 10 pm and I have been typing this for what seems like an eternity, I will have to post about the ultrasound tomorrow.

Goodnight.



No comments:

Post a Comment