Thursday, August 18, 2011

Ultrasound results

**Warning: information regarding my cycles and "intimate life" are included in this post.  If this bothers you, please do not read any further!**

Alright, as I mentioned before, we had our ultrasound on Monday the 15th for dating purposes.  We saw the baby looking like a little gummy bear!  The doctor didn't say what the heart rate was, but said it looked good.  According to the ultrasound the baby measured at 9 weeks and 1 day.  According to my last period, baby should have been 10 weeks and 5 days.  Well, I knew the baby wouldn't measure at 10w5d, as I usually ovulate around day 21 of my cycle, and not day 14 like the "typical" woman.  (Though, really, what is "typical"?  I don't even know that many women whose cycles are exactly 28 days long.  But anyway....)

Because I ovulate 7 days later than the typical woman, my due date would still be the same as the due date for LMP (last menstrual period), as my OB's don't change your due date unless the baby measures more than 7 days different.  This held true for Ephraim (don't know about Bretton).  But apparently not so for this one.   Which really concerns me and has me quite baffled. 

If you can follow, here's why:  As I stated I ovulate around day 21.  I know this for a fact as I chart using BBT (basal body temperature) and OPK's  (ovulation predictor kits).  By charting and OPK's I ovulated day 21, right where I usually do.  I also know that we only had intercourse on the 18th.  Intercourse 3 days before ovulation can result in pregnancy.  Intercourse 7-8 days before ovulation does not result in pregnancy (according to the "rule" that sperm only survive up to 6 days).  The baby's measurements put ovulation on the 25th.   Because this is 11 days later than the "typical" ovulation, the due date was moved 11 days backward.  Well, whatever, the baby is going to come when it comes no matter what the due date is.  But, thinking about all of this makes me wonder if the baby is growing too slowly.  Or, despite the doctor doing the measurements twice and getting the same answer, maybe it was wrong.  Here's the biggest kicker to me:  the doctor said that ultrasounds can be off by up to a week.  If that is the case, and I know with 99.99% certainty when I ovulated, why not give me a due date between the two dates?  I think a due date of March 13th sounds more accurate.  As it is they have me going over due by 11 days (because again, I know I'm right!) and then, if i go overdue by their due date, I won't even be considered for inducement until I'm nearly 3 weeks overdue!  Gah!  Good thing my others came right around their due date-- hoping that means the same with this one.  Especially since I am pretty set against inducement.

Oh, and we had an ultrasound done nearly 3 weeks prior to this last one to check for viability.  The doctor did not measure, but guessed baby was around 7 to 7.5 weeks.  So that should have put baby at 10 to 10.5 weeks on Monday.

Yeah-- totally confusing!  Anyway, in the long run I don't care as long as the baby continues to develop and is healthy.  I'm truly just happy to know that the baby is doing well!!

2 comments:

  1. Does that mean that you were trying for a girl this time? (referring to BD'ing three days before O) Or is that just how things happened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just how it happened! We didn't plan on getting pregnant this cycle. We were going to wait a few more cycles before actually trying. Of course, I knew it was a possibility, but didn't think about how easily I get pregnant!

    ReplyDelete